Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Grandmother's Window

My dear grandmother once lived on a beautiful farm. I stayed there with her for a time in my youth. I found it to be a wondrous place, filled with innumerable birds, a gloriously productive garden, wide blue sky, and flowing fields of alfalfa.
She lives now in what they call an Assisted Living facility. Until recently her room had no windows and the plant-filled courtyard of the home is far away and difficult for her to get to.
So I have painted her a window. She can once again look upon a gently flowing stream . . . yellow flowers in the grass . . . a hill nearby with a grand old tree . . . and a cheerful visitor in the branches above.  
I began with a bit of cotton muslin about the size of a door and a basket full of acrylic paints.
And with a little help from my friend . . .
It wasn't long before we had this.
Soon after I sent this mural to my grandmother, she was moved into a new room - one with a view onto the courtyard filled with a myriad of plants, with birds busily fluttering about. But even at night, when all the other birds have settled in for the evening, she will always have her Cedar Waxwing there, keeping watch in the branches above.
-Bree

No comments: